"Husbands Bosworth is a township and extensive parish, in the southern division of the County of Leicestershire, Market Harborough Union and County District, archdeaconry of Leicester, diocese of Peterborough, 6 miles east of Lutterworth, 14 miles south from Leicester, and 95 miles from London."
Thus is the village of Husbands Bosworth described in Kelly's Postal Directory of Leicestershire 1875. "The village is large and well-built, situate at the junction of the roads from Leicester to Northampton, and from Lutterworth to Market Harborough, bounded on the south-east by the river Welland, which here divides the county from Northamptonshire, on the south-west by the river Avon, and on the west by the Grand Union canal, which here is conducted through a tunnel of nearly a mile in length."
"The parish church of All Saints is an old building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches, square embattled tower, surmounted by pinnacles at the angles, and crowned by a lofty octagonal spire with 5 bells. There are 6 stained memorial windows. The church was restored in 1867 at a cost of £3000. The register dates from 1500."
The Directory describes the soil as:........"gravelly; subsoil clay", ....and the cropping as: "...wheat, barley, oats and roots, and partly grazing." The area of the parish is given as 3409 acres, and the population in 1871 was 934.
PRESENT-DAY HUSBANDS BOSWORTH
The modern-day visitor to Husbands Bosworth would have little argument with Kelly's description of the village as described over 130 years ago. In essence little of the character of the village has changed in that time.
Husbands Bosworth today is a thriving rural community of about 1000 souls with over 90 businesses operating within, or having principals residing here. The village lies in a prominent position at an elevation of 500ft., central within the parish.
The village is situated on the intersection of the A5199 (formerly the A50 Trunk Road), Leicester to Northampton road, and the A4304 (formerly the A427 Trunk Road), Lutterworth to Market Harborough road. Access to the M1 Motorway (Junction 20) is 6 miles, and access to the A14 east/west link road is 5 miles. By rail, London (St. Pancras) is approximately 90 mins from Market Harborough.
The village boasts the facilities of:
Turville Memorial Hall - community meeting place
Post Office/General Store
Doctor's Surgery & Dispensary
"The Bell Inn" Public House
Outside the village, but within the parish;
On the Welford Arm of the Grand Union Canal, there is the "Wharf House Hotel" Public House & Hotel, and Welford Marina & Boatyard.
On the Grand Union Canal near North Kilworth is North Kilworth Marina & Boatyard.